Wednesday, October 07, 2009

I'm Part of a Tribe?

I just read What Makes Marketing Hard (And Gross) which is a decent marketing article. I've been reading a ton of marketing articles lately. In particular I'm addicted to Copy Blogger.

I had an "um" moment when at the end of the article, the author says, "thanks for being in my little tribe."

Over the past couple days I've read a few articles that have been talking about community and "tribes". No, not "twibes", the Twitter version of email loops and I'm sure, a play on Twitter + tribes. Cute huh?

I feel as if I should don a tribal suit made of animal skins and partake of a bunch of weird, ancient customs and superstitions. Maybe I should dance naked under the full moon, like the one I took a picture of on the way home from work this evening.

Looks like a full moon. That explains a lot... on Twitpic


No, I won't torture you (or me) that way and I won't mortify my kids. But this seems like such a cutesy term for a business type interaction. I also didn't know that visiting a place once constitutes being a member, even though I enjoyed the article and will probably visit again.

The idea of building "community" seems apropos. Maybe I like the concept of a village better.

It really doesn't matter what you call it. What matters is interacting with, helping and being helped by your friends, readers, and associates. As an entertainer (writers entertain, right?) we also often entertain in our blog posts as well as in our books. So I really don't mind the idea of a "tribe". Usually I'd find it cute or fun. I must be in one of my snarky moods - sorry.


Believe it or not, I am also editing as writers cannot only market or build community or we will be in danger of having no bona fide business reason to need our communities. We have to write and edit and manage our time well.

But it's tough, at least for this ADHD writer. I can't help multi-tasking. Often that's a good thing, but at the moment it's not. I have to get back to editing or risk my editor's wrath. I have not one edit, and not two. Not even three, but I have FOUR edits due very soon. Thus, I am getting all the help I can. Here's my writing helper Dion, trying to keep me honest and get me back on track. Well, at least he jumped off my lap so I can type better. Isn't he cute? He's the big daddy of my cat tribe at home. At least we call him "Big Daddy" (one of his many nicknames along with "Mr. Paws" - see his adorable paws? He's a polydactyl also known as a Hemingway.)


My babys helping me edit. on Twitpic

Recent posts you might also like to read:

Author Interview: Linda Kage


Sayonara Baby

Don't Bomb Your Audience With Turkeys

Are You Writing Me Into Your Book?

Dont Give Up Too Early

Welcome to the Spookiest Month of the Year (+ don't burn your Ouija Board!)

Friday Fill-ins Oct. 2 (& e-Readers)


You'll also want to see what Amarinda Jones, Anika Hamilton, Anny Cook,
Barbara Huffert, Brynn Paulin, Bronwyn Green, Dakota Rebel, Kelly Kirch,
Molly Daniels, Sandra Cox, Regina Carlysle, and Cindy Spencer Pape
are up to, so make sure to visit them also. :)

6 comments:

Linda Kage said...

I never would've thought of calling a group like that a tribe. Definitely a cutsie term. Hmm.

Unknown said...

When I hear tribe I think of Survivor. "The tribe has spoken." Do they have the power to kick you out? :)
Four edits due? Oh I've never had that many at one time. Hope it all works out for you. Love the cat.

Regina Carlysle said...

Ooooh. Four edits? You'll get it done, Ash.

Jessica Nelson said...

Hi Ashley,
I just heard about tribes at the conference. Haven't quite wrapped my head around the whole thing either. LOL

Unknown said...

There's always someone who cannot help themselves by wanting to categorize everyone to make their little world more ordered.

Sandra Cox said...

What a beauty! And no wonder he helps you write. What else could you expect from a Hemmingway kitty.
Good luck with those edits! Yikes.

Website Content and Copy: Ashley Ladd, 2008.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.