Monday, November 09, 2009

When Do You Write?

It's Monday again and the start of a work week for me. Well, it's the start of my day job work week.
It's also the end of my writing work week. I should say the end of my large amount of time to write.

I did a telephone interview Saturday and one of the questions was, "What is your writing schedule? When do you write?"

Unfortunately, at the moment I don't have a precise schedule. Not even close.

This weekend was a good weekend for writing. I wrote 9,000 words in two days. I took my Alpha Smart to my daughter's ball games, snuck away to Border's a couple times inbetween games and also wrote during her games.

Sometimes I write on week nights, if I'm not too exhausted or stressed out from the day job and appointments. But I don't write as much on weeknights as I used to. I used to be a night owl and stay up till midnight, one or even two am writing. But I can't do that anymore. I'm falling asleep by 9 or 10 pm.

I've never been a morning person and thought I'd never get up early to write. But I'm considering giving morning writing a try.

Of course, I long for the day I can say I write full time, Monday - Friday 9 - 5 and take weekends off.

When is your best time to write? Do you have a set schedule?

For now, I write when I can.


Recent posts you might like to read:

Nanowrimo Thoughts 

To Nano Or Not To Nano - That Is The Question

Why You Should Consider Library Booksignings

Make Sure Pretentious Words Don't Turn Off Your Readers

Are You Writing Me Into Your Book?

Dont Give Up Too Early

Must Write Must Write Must Write!!!


You'll also want to see what Amarinda Jones, Anika Hamilton, Anny Cook, Barbara Huffert, Brynn Paulin, Bronwyn Green, Dakota Rebel, Kelly Kirch, Molly Daniels, Sandra Cox, Regina Carlysle, and Cindy Spencer Pape are up to, so make sure to visit them also. :)

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Right now my son naps from usually noon to 3:30...it's complete heaven!!! That is MY time. I check email, Facebook, blogs, etc..and try real hard to be done with that stuff by 1. After that it's writing time (or like the past 3-4 months, editing time.) My son is almost 22 months and I know the day is coming soon where he won't sleep so much in the afternoon. I keep telling hubby I need a better schedule and we keep saying I'm gonna take a couple hours after dinner on certain nights of the week to write. Problem is...the kids come knocking on the door or other noises distract me. I'm debating on taking my laptop to the library a few nights a week.

I used to be a night owl too! No clue what happened to me. I think it was baby #2. Before he came along...I had no problems staying up till 1-2 am and then getting up at 8 with my daughter. Now, I'm usually pretty tired by 9....and I can't concentrate enough to do anything productive.

Regina Carlysle said...

Hmmm. That's a good question.Normally I'm an organized person but I tend to write when I feel like it but I should really PUSH more and write even when I don't want to. HA. My best writing time seems to be between 10-3 on weekdays and I love weekend writing.

The Redhead Riter said...

I like to write from the time I wake up to lunch time. That is when I am at my most creative...I think...LOL. I only get to do that on the weekends, so maybe I'm only creative on the weekends!

Guess who?

I have a little surprise for you on my blog and a GREAT BIG BUNCH OF BLOGGING BUDDY ♥

http://theredheadriter.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I write in the early mornings when everyone in the house is still asleep. I've always been a morning writer. My brain is too fried to write at night.
I too want to say I write FT M-F and take the weekends off for fun. :)
Maybe some day.

Linda Kage said...

I have no set schedule either. Whenever I find the time, whenever a good idea hits me.

Unknown said...

Hello Ashley – I’m a British author and a fellow member of Bookblogs, and I wanted to invite you (and your readers) to participate in my Blogsplash – there’s more information at http://www.fionarobyn.com/thawblogsplash.htm. Thanks for listening!

Website Content and Copy: Ashley Ladd, 2008.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.