Monday, January 25, 2010

What Prompts Me To "Follow" A Blog




It's the weekend and so I get some free time. Perhaps I should be writing (fiction writing, not blogging) but I'm doing another favorite activity - blog hopping.

Why I Visit Blogs
I visit blogs for many reasons. I like to keep current with the romance writing/reading/promotion news. I like to learn new things about writing and publishing so I read editors/agents/other writers/and even readers blogs. I can get lost in blogland for hours.

In the course of visiting other blogs, I find some I love, some I like, and some I don't like so much. Usually the ones I like share useful information about writing/promoting/or publishing. I also enjoy blogs that share gossip, opinions and news about the romance writing community. I also like to read about writers' day to day lives.


Why I follow a blog
Before I "follow" a blog I read several posts on the blog. Sometimes I may visit several days before following. If I enjoy the posts, if the blogger follows me, if the blogger comments on my blog and befriends me, I follow them.

However, I don't follow blogs that only post excerpts from their books. I also don't follow blogs that are purely book reviews. I don't follow blogs that bore me.

I want to learn and/or be entertained. I want to connect with other writers and readers. I want to meet interesting people. I want to get ideas for blog posts.


Why do you follow a blog?
Why do you follow blogs? Do you follow many?

Recent posts you might like to read:

Don't Be Quick To Quit Your Day Job

When Do You Write?


Why You Should Consider Library Booksignings

Make Sure Pretentious Words Don't Turn Off Your Readers

Are You Writing Me Into Your Book?

Dont Give Up Too Early

Must Write Must Write Must Write!!!

You'll also want to see what Amarinda Jones, Anika Hamilton, Anny Cook, Barbara Huffert, Brynn Paulin, Bronwyn Green, Dakota Rebel, Kelly Kirch, Molly Daniels, Sandra Cox, Regina Carlysle, and Cindy Spencer Pape are up to, so make sure to visit them also. :)

5 comments:

Linda Kage said...

I like to follow blogs that'll mix things up a little. Writing advice and tips, interviews, the occasional excerpts, or a writer's daily struggles. Games and fun videos are nice too.

I try not to do the same-old, same-old everyday on my blog, but I notice I fall into a rut sometimes. It's very hard to stay fresh. And so many different things interest so many different people.

Nancy J. Parra said...

I like blogs that mix things up. I, also, follow blogs of people I enjoy- like you and Linda K (Above.) Unfortunately I don't always get to read blogs as day to day gets in the way.
I agree- who needs nothing but promo on a blog. Give me something fun/interesting. cheers~

Unknown said...

You both sound like me. I love variety. I can't stand the same old things.

The Bumbles said...

Interesting post as always Ashley. I may use this topic for a future BlogAnon post!

I follow anyone that I know follows us. And then there are those that I just connect with, that I look forward to, that give me something - fun, smart, useful, funny, motivating - on a consistent basis. I follow those gems when I find them.

I don't publicly follow anyone - i.e. through Blogger's "Follow Me" gadget. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings if they saw our little Bumble on someone's Followers gadget and wondered why we weren't following them. I just put sites in my Google Reader when I like them - like yours.

Molly Daniels said...

I like to keep up to date on people's lives, as well as their books/release dates/promo info news.

Website Content and Copy: Ashley Ladd, 2008.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.