Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Do you really want to post that picture/comment online?

Just last night I read an article warning people not to post damning pictures and comments on Twitter or anywhere else online. Our employers are becoming Internet savvy and checking the net for things people do and say. That includes current and potential employees, donors, friends... This seemed like good advice but I thought my ____ isn't very computer literate. It would be highly unlikely he'd find anything I posted online (not that I plan to say anything against my boss or employer - I think they're fantastic), even if I used my real name (which I don't). However, he surprised me today. He asked me to look at our company's Face Book page. He'd found several "friend" avatars he thought inappropriate for our type of company. He objected to them and linking the company website to them in case other donors think we condone that sort of thing. Now Face Book avatars are not too bad compared to Twitter's. I've seen completely naked people on Twitter avatars. There are tons of women in g-strings showing off their butts on their Twitter avatars. However, I agree with my boss. I don't think the company will stop using Face Book or other social media but I imagine they will monitor it a lot closer after this. I also think they'll take down the link. Here are a few I found that are pretty riske, more so than any my boss found. Believe me, I've seen much worse. For my website, this isn't a problem. However, for a lot of companies, it would be.

Do you really want your boss, your church, your co-workers to see things like this? I wouldn't dare post these under my real name. You'll also want to see what Amarinda Jones, Anika Hamilton, Anny Cook, Barbara Huffert, Brynn Paulin, Bronwyn Green, Dakota Rebel, Kelly Kirch, Molly Daniels, Sandra Cox, Regina Carlysle, and Cindy Spencer Pape are up to, so make sure to visit them also. :)

3 comments:

The Redhead Riter said...

I would JUST DIE if I had a pic of me like that online!

Unknown said...

If you willingly put it on knowing the risk then that's your choice. Let's face it those women in the pictures you have shown are doing it for a specific reason. Much different if an ex-lover or friend did it.

Regina Carlysle said...

You just have to be so careful not to post something you wouldn't want the whole world to see.

Website Content and Copy: Ashley Ladd, 2008.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.