Monday, June 09, 2008

My Space

Who here is good at working their My Space? That's if you have a My Space page. I do. But I hardly ever attend to it. I don't mean to be lazy - I don't think I am. There's only so many hours in the day and the day job and family and writing and this blog, take up a lot. I also try to squeeze in exercise - walking or the gym. It shouldn't be that hard, right? So why am I lacking when it comes to it? When I was at the conference this weekend, we were told to work our My Space page, that it's a powerful tool, that some authors, Holly Jacobs, whom I first knew as Holly Fuhrmann on a loop before she ever published as Holly Jacobs, used just recently. Supposedly, Holly thinks it's her use of My Space with this last book that made her most recent release sell out in 3 to 4 days and go to second print. Wow! I've got to get on board. It was also mentioned, by the lady at Author Island, I think, that there's a way to post just one blog and have it automatically distribute to our My Space, blogger, etc. blogs in one fell swoop so we reach 15 or more different audiences and not waste time. After all, we're not called "writers" because we play on line. Our job is to actually "write". (Not that I don't love to play online - it's addictive - and why I tend to take myself away from the Internet and go to Borders or Barnes & Nobles to write where I'd have to pay (a lot) extra to go online). Of course now, (sigh) I have to pay a mint for the gas to get to Borders. So, I'll check out Author Island and cos productions and Lucy Monroe's website, etc. where it was suggested we check for help with all this good promotion stuff, as soon as I can. I think Dad gets a bit irritated when I'm online or even the computer, too much, here at his house. Plus his connection is deadly slow and clunky. On top of that, I'm heading out to my aunt and uncle's house in a few minutes and I doubt Uncle Bill will let me on his computer at all. Yes, I'll be in computer and internet withdrawal for a day or two. The person who accused me of being "internet needy" is sadly right. Oh well, I accept it. I'm an author and I don't know any author who doesn't use the internet a lot. It's been our salvation as writing can be a lonely profession otherwise. Soooo, if any of my bloggy friends out there knows how to use My Space, all and any help will be greatly appreciated. Let me know. :)

10 comments:

Nicole McCaffrey said...

I have purposely not joined the My Space craze, although I do belong to Romance Book Junction, which is kind of like My Space for romance writers and readers.

But more and more I'm hearing exactly what you said, that it's a valuable selling tool. So I may have to join the party after all, LOL.

I more than understand about the computer withdrawal! It's my lifeline!

Anonymous said...

Nope, sorry! Never been able to figure it out! (Having enough trouble with wordpress!)

barbara huffert said...

I have a very, very basic, absolutely no frills MySpace. I have learned how to post pics for my book covers and I do copy and past my blog after I publish it on blogger. I'm consistantly averaging about 30 views a day and I only have 200 friends. 100 are from within the past few months from people sending me requests. Is it worth it? Who knows but it only takes a few minutes a day and I figure it can't hurt.

Sandra Cox said...

I am very bad about keeping up with my space.

Unknown said...

I have never worked out why I need MySpace so I am no use to you

Phoenix said...

I have it but it took me a day to set up and I only ever use it as an alternate location to post my existing blog.

I have 20 people who check that one a day. With one exception no one has commented but they are there, every day.

Molly Daniels said...

My teens set mine up for me. I'm still figuring it out! I don't update the blog as often as I should, I guess...

Unknown said...

Thanks all. I'll have to give it a go. It's hard while I'm here with Dad. I'll devote more time to that when I get home.

DJ Kirkby said...

I prefer FaceBook

Unknown said...

I have to get more into FaceBook, too, and other things like it. Sigh, only so much time.

Website Content and Copy: Ashley Ladd, 2008.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.