Thursday, February 07, 2008

Shots and Doctors

I had the worst, most painful shot ever this morning. I've always been the world's biggest baby when it comes to getting shots. When I was six, I literally hid under my pediatrician's couch and my mom and the nurse had to drag me out. Even then, I clung to the couch leg for dear life, probably crying and screaming (forgive me if I forget that part - that was 42 years ago). Finally, they got me to take the shot by threatening to put me into the hospital. I think shortly before that, I watched a B-rated horror movie on TV where this doctor was either shrunk or he went to the land of giants (again, I was 6 or less and that's at least 42 years ago). Anyway, the hero was stabbed by a HUGE needle, one that was like the size of the Empire State Building in comparison to him. I've gotten much better about getting shots since I was a kid. However, I still don't like them. Well, I'm sure no one LIKES shots. But I think I like them less than the ordinary person. I dread them, but I've been able to take them like a grown up. But today. Whoa! This needle was almost as big as the Empire State Building and my doctor stuck it in my foot twice, near my second and third, and then my third and forth toes. The pain shot up through the tops of my toes and was so very sharp that I shed a few tears and screamed - more than once. Oy! I can't believe I behaved like a little kid again, that it bothered me that much. It bled, too. Not just a little. A LOT! The sight of my blood or other people's blood never bothers me. This didn't bother me, but it did amaze me just how much blood poured out because of the shot. I didn't think the foot held that much blood. Okay, I was exagerrating - a little. But it was a lot of blood. Am I the only one who hates shots? If I ever become Type 1 diabetic, like my hubby, I'd probably die before taking those shots daily. Knock on wood!!! On another completely different note, I've been blog hopping. I've found some quite interesting blogs - one with pictures of South Africa even. I was amazed that it looked a lot like Ohio - the pics posted, anyway. I don't know what I expected South Africa to look like never having visited, but not like my home. One day, I hope to travel the world and see all the countries or at least every state in the US and a lot of other countries.

9 comments:

Badaunt said...

You are not alone! (I wrote about why I have a thing about needles, here.)

However, I had two needles in me today and was fine. Maybe I'm getting over it, finally!

Molly Daniels said...

The only times I was ever okay with shots was my tetanus shot in '90 (I never felt it) and my 2nd Rhogam shot after 1st child was born (again, never felt it!). My daughter was the only one of my 2 children who was kind enough to be born with my negative RH factor, so didn't have to have second shot with her (bad boys! Make Mommy suffer...).

I too hope I am never diagnosed diabetic, and if I do, it can be treated medicinally. I watch my MIL get her daily insulin and I can't watch. Same with the kids' shots...I'm sure I'm the only mom who had to look away while holding down the child! Now I just hang on to their hands...but still close my eyes!

Sassy said...

When I was little, I had to be held down when it came to a shot. The sucker WAS NOT worth it either!

Unknown said...

On the one hand, I'm sorry you have to go through those horrid shots and the pain. On the other hand, I feel a little better that I'm not the only one that feels this way.

fineartist said...

You poor baby, shots in the toes, that's just so wrong, ow.

My daughter has multiple sclerosis and she has to take a shot once a week to impede the progress of the disease. I used to give her the shots, it was awful, God love her she would throw such a snot slinging fit, crying and biting her brother's hand as he held hers for her to make the shot go by faster. Then when we'd get it over with she'd say, "Oh that wasn't so bad." And I'd say, "For who, it was hammered hell for me and your brother." Heh. Now she goes to the doctor once a week and they give her the shot.

I really don't blame her, just the thought of having to take a shot every week for the rest of her life, hopefully they will come up with a pill soon.

Nice to meet you Ashley!

Unknown said...

I took my youngest (13) to the pediatrician this morning and he was concerned that he had a stuffy nose so the doctor said they'd test for allergies. That meant drawing blood. Well, my guy almost freaked out when he realized they had to stick a needle in him to draw the blood. He insisted on holding my hand and almost broke my fingers. Unfortunately, the technician, couldn't draw any blood with the first stick, so he had to put it in my son's wrist. Then the blood came out very slowly (mine's pretty fast - I don't know which is normal) so he had to keep pumping, all the while he was going on about how much it hurt. I was crying inside for him. I totally understand the pain of needles.

DJ Kirkby said...

I hate needles too (and me a midwife!) Just to reassure you that if you ever became a diabetic, the needles are much tinier and only go under the skin not into the muscle! You'd cope, honest. Why were you habing injections into your foot? Do you have plantar fascitis?

Unknown said...

Hi DJ. I had sharp pains in my right foot, just below my second and third toes. So I went to the podiatrist and he ran an ultrasound and only found some swelling. He said it wasn't too bad but needed some cortisone shots and that I also had to buy New Balance shoes and get rid of my high tops and other uncomfortable shoes. My second and third toes spread because of the swelling and are still spread which may or may not go back to normal. No biggie as long as it feels better. It's a lot better than it was, just not all the way. For awhile, I wasn't allowed to do any weight-bearing exercise.

Unknown said...

Oh! I'm glad to hear that the diabetic shots are not nearly as bad. Still, I hate to look at even small needles, and of course, I hope never to become diabetic. Of course, no one does.

Website Content and Copy: Ashley Ladd, 2008.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.