Friday, January 02, 2009

Wow! We're really in 2009?

Can you believe it's 2009? The number sounds so futuristic to me. Then again, so did 1999 and 2000. Did you ever see Space 1999? I watched that as a teenager and we truly believed we'd be in space somehow, someway, on a large basis by then. Conversely, we (most of us anyway - well, me anyway) had no clue about innerspace - the Internet - coming. It seems like Y2K was just a year ago, not almost TEN years ago. What were you doing ten years ago? In 1999 I was canning food, backing up computer files, buying survival supplies, and planting fruit trees. We'd just bought our house. My son and his wife were married. My first grandchild was born. I wasn't convinced the world was going to end, that all computers would crash, but I like to be prepared, so I prepared both ways. I kept writing and publishing, but I also prepared in case computers crashed. My kids and my friends thought I was nuts. In retrospect, I suppose we did look like nuts. But you know what? On New Year's Eve 2000 my computer crashed. Honestly. So it was a good thing I had my son back up everything. We used the extra food I had stashed a year or so later during lean times, so that didn't go to waste, either. Now, I update automatic deductions on credit cards for my day job and the card expiration dates go up to 2014. I'm in awe. Before we know it, it will 2020, and then 2030. I'll be 60, then 70, then 80, and then oh my. It's mind boggling. This decade has flown by. On the whole, it's been great with just a few bumps. It sure doesn't feel like 10 years have gone by. It's been nice, but doesn't seem like the highly futuristic society the old TV shows predicted it to be. You'll also want to see what Amarinda Jones, Anika Hamilton, Anny Cook, Barbara Huffert, Brynn Paulin, Bronwyn Green, Dakota Rebel, Kelly Kirch, Molly Daniels, Sandra Cox, Regina Carlysle, and Cindy Spencer Pape are up to, so make sure to visit them also. :)

2 comments:

Molly Daniels said...

10 years ago...hmmm...things were looking up; hubby was working and S was doing well in preschool. I was getting to know people in my new neighborhood, and becoming a respected baseball mom. I had only written 3 books, and was submitting to NY. I think 1999 was also the year I got my so-called 'agent'.

Bronwyn Green said...

I used to LOVE Space 1999 when I was little!

Ten years ago, I had four year old and a nearly two year old and was coming off the worst year I've ever had. I'm so grateful things have improved since then.

Happy New Year, Honey!! I hope this is a great one for us all. :)

Website Content and Copy: Ashley Ladd, 2008.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.