Sunday, February 15, 2009

Patriotic Song

This may be an old song, but it's still appropriate today. Many of my friends are from other countries. My great-great-grandparents came from Germany. To my knowledge, none of them have ever shown disrespect for my country. HOWEVER, I have overheard other people diss the US, which angers me very much. Both happened to be from Haiti, and both happened to be co-workers. The first was my office-mate. She didn't know I took French and can understand it. She constantly called her mom in Haiti on the company dime and than acted holier than thou (oh yes, another one of those holier than thou people). One day, she and her friend who was also from Haiti, stood two feet from me and she went on about how she hated the US, Americans, and being here. She said it in French so she obviously thought I didn't understand a word. Ooh! I was boiling. I probably should've said something but I didn't. I just stewed and really couldn't stand her after that. Like I mentioned, she was holier than thou, so it probably wouldn't have phazed her anyway. Not long after, another co-worker from Haiti stood out in the hallway and proclaimed how she hated Americans and America. Why why why would someone stay in a country they hated, where they hated the native people? Because they don't hate everything? They like the freedoms and the money and the conveniences. They want to suck it dry and change it to accommodate them. IMHO then they should stay in their own country and fight to change it, not expect us to change for them. If I were the one who moved to a different country, if I asked that country to take me in and give me all their rights and privileges, you can be damned sure I'd be appreciative and respectful. If I hated it, I'd find somewhere else to go or at least shut the *&(&^*^ up. I think we should play this video in every movie theater before every movie from now on, and play it at least once a day on tv, too. You'll also want to see what Amarinda Jones, Anika Hamilton, Anny Cook, Barbara Huffert, Brynn Paulin, Bronwyn Green, Dakota Rebel, Kelly Kirch, Molly Daniels, Sandra Cox, Regina Carlysle, and Cindy Spencer Pape are up to, so make sure to visit them also. :)

1 comment:

Molly Daniels said...

Hear, hear, Ashley:)

My sister took a job in the public school after returning from a 2-year Peace Corps duty in Ecquador. Her second day on the job, she realized two Hispanic boys were 'dissing' the teacher, the school, and the other kids in their Spanish slang. She called them on it and gave them a verbal tongue-lashing in their native Spanish...and they were so ashamed at being caught, they straightened up!

Website Content and Copy: Ashley Ladd, 2008.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.