Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Juke Boxes and Dime Shakes

Wow! Did shakes really only cost 10 cents once upon a time? As far as I remember, not in my lifetime. I remember five and dime stores - even after I was married. I guess that tells you how old I am, but not dime shakes. Today, as I took two of my kids to see "Return to Witch Mountain", two things happened that made me feel old and also think about skyrocketing prices. One, that the movie's a remake. I saw bits and pieces on TV but I never saw the whole movie so I don't know if the remake is exactly like the original or a lot different. It also cost almost $30 for the three of us to see a matinee - well, with two drinks (no popcorn, no nachos, no candy). Two, after the movie, my daughter's friend was showing us pictures of her family on her cell phone. One was of her brother after he saw a jukebox. He was so amazed. Juke boxes are cute. They're cool. They're fun. But amazing??? He'd never seen one before. Nor had she. To them, it was an ancient artifact. Has it really been that long since juke boxes went the way of the do do? I hadn't thought so, but both my daughter and her friend told me they've not seen them before - they're 18. Has it been 18 or more years since there were juke boxes in every diner? I hadn't thought so, but maybe. Has 18 years really flown by so fast? And how long as it been since we could buy anything for a dime? Public phone calls rose to 25 cents when I was a teenager in high school. Now you can hardly find a public phone. Everybody has cell phones. Penny candy isn't sold for a penny any more. We think if something costs $1.00 it's a bargain. My kids go wild in the dollar stores. They can't imagine buying something for a nickle or a dime. Prices are always on the rise. We always seem to be talking about inflation. But it seems that the past year the grocery costs go up by leaps and bounds. I'm staggered. You'll also want to see what Amarinda Jones, Anika Hamilton, Anny Cook, Barbara Huffert, Brynn Paulin, Bronwyn Green, Dakota Rebel, Kelly Kirch, Molly Daniels, Sandra Cox, Regina Carlysle, and Cindy Spencer Pape are up to, so make sure to visit them also. :)

3 comments:

Sandra Cox said...

Times have changed haven't they. I love jukeboxes:)

Molly Daniels said...

One of my favorite places to eat is Johnny Rockets...juke boxes, old-fashioned sodas/malts/shakes, and the wait staff dances around to certain songs from the 50's, 60's, and 70's.

I loved the original Witch Mtn series, although I remember more of #2 than the first one. Would love to see both again, as well as this new one:)

Regina Carlysle said...

Talk about feeling OLD. The talk of juke boxes reminds me of those old cafes where there was a little juke box at every table. After ordering, we'd thumb through the titles and if we were lucky enough to have a spare quarter we could choose three or four songs.

Website Content and Copy: Ashley Ladd, 2008.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.