Monday, May 25, 2009

Pictures Tell A Thousand Words - So Do You Look At Twit Pics?

I'm a geek and probably a nerd. I get a kick out of Star Trek and being on the cutting edge of technology. I've been seduced by Twitter and Facebook to my woe, and to many of the Twitter apps. One of my favorite Twitter apps is Twitpic which I'm sure is short for "Twitter pictures". I blog to get to know and be known by my friends and readers, so why not take it one step further? I read that popular stars like Vin Diesel and Shaq are masters of staying in touch with their fans and friends. How? By staying real. So what is "staying real"? Or "transparent"? I understand this to mean by sharing their lives and their thoughts in fun, light-hearted ways such as taking pictures out and about town and giving the random intimate thought. It's not about shoving the next book or movie or game down someone's throat. It's cute to see Shaq licking a big ice cream cone. It's cool to see Vin's on-location shots from his pov, not the movie's. So, whether they know it or not, they've become my mentors. I learn from them as I enjoy their daily antecdotes. I never would have dreamed that Vin Diesel or Shaquille O'Neil would have been my teachers, but I'm flexible and they are, even if they don't know it. Thus I'm reading every article on Twitter and Facebook I can find (inbetween playing the totally addictive Farm Town game on Facebook) and learning. Before you write it off and say, Twitter's for nerds and geeks, read further. Not only have I programmed my phone to send pictures to Twitter AND Facebook from my phone so that I'm a mobile friend and promoter, but I'm learning how to use it for the advantage of my day job. It's a great customer service tool and since I'm the customer service manager, I see that businesses can't afford to ignore the public's voice which is loud and clear on Twitter. The accountant and analyst in me wonders, do many people click through to see my pictures on Twitpic via Twitter and Facebook? I hope so. I try to be entertaining and informative. How am I being informative? I report on movies - such as my tweet "Skeeball rules. Terminator doesn't." (with a pic of a skee ball being slam dunked. I suppose I should've said "Terminator drools" but I didn't think of that until after I pressed the send key. So I reported that I did NOT like the newest Terminator movie. Save your money and watch it when it comes out on TV in a year or two. Star Trek, however, rocks. I've seen it twice on the big screen and would love to see it at the IMAX. I highly recommend it and said so on Twitter and Facebook as well as here. But I can say it on Twitter (and Facebook) without aid of my computer so I'm not tied down and I don't have to wait until I get home from the day job and softball field late at night and often too tired to sign online. I hope you'll get a kick out of my daily observations complete with pics. If you're not on Twitter or Facebook or Twitpics, I highly recommend them. Not only are they great tools for making new friends and helping your business but they're great for reconnecting and staying connected to family and old friends. I'm a BIG fan. Maybe I've finally found the social media for which I've been searching. You'll also want to see what Amarinda Jones, Anika Hamilton, Anny Cook, Barbara Huffert, Brynn Paulin, Bronwyn Green, Dakota Rebel, Kelly Kirch, Molly Daniels, Sandra Cox, Regina Carlysle, and Cindy Spencer Pape are up to, so make sure to visit them also. :)

3 comments:

Sandra Cox said...

I need to do facebook and keep up with my twitter. sigh

Unknown said...

well, you are certainly working your arse off to get ahead and I admre that

Unknown said...

I clicked through to Twitpic and either no one else has looked at any of my pictures sent there or I don't know how to access the stats. I'll have to poke around there more. Yeah, I'm working hard but is it working??? :)

Website Content and Copy: Ashley Ladd, 2008.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.