Monday, June 08, 2009

A Different World

Thank you my new friend, The Redhead Riter, for this lovely blog award. I think your blog is pretty awesome, too. I enjoyed the post on The Redhead Riter's blog today. "Into The Unknown". A lot of good points and observations were made. My younger daughter graduated high school this year. She's 18 and thus legally an adult. She's eligible to start college, get a job, and even enlist in the military. She could go to fight in Iraq. Yet, she still calls me "Mommy". She still asks me to drive her to her best friend's house to spend the night. She still asks me to buy her chocolate. She still cuddles up to me to watch movies. She's still my baby. But she's not a baby. She's a young woman who must soon spread her wings and take flight. She has a lot to learn even though she thinks she knows it all. She's scared to look for a job and take responsibility for her life. She wants to take the summer off and have fun before college starts. Her world at 18 is a lot different than my world was at 18. I didn't have PC's, the internet, computer games (except for one lone Pac Man game sandwiched between lots of pin ball machines - I still prefer pin ball to video games), cell phones, VCRs, MP3 players... I bought 8-track and cassette tapes that unwound and got ruined a lot. I loved to walk to the Pony Keg so I could buy penny candy and Coke in glass bottles. I danced many nights away at the Disco. I met one boyfriend "bumping" on the dance floor. I went to sleep at 10 pm when the TV station went off the air. Or I read books under my covers with the aid of a flashlight - until my dad caught me. I listened to Beatles, Beach Boys, Elvis, Motown, Carly Simon, Bee Gees, Donny Osmond, and David Cassidy 45's and LP's nightly. I was very upset if I couldn't be home to watch Star Trek (the original series). There was no VCR or Tivos when I was young. I had to cook on the stove and in the oven. Toaster Ovens were a new gadget when I was a newlywed. Microwaves (at least ones I could afford) came a few years later. I played jukeboxes when I went to the diner and the Airman's Club. (I miss them.) As archaic as some of this may sound to some people, my parents were in awe at all the changes they saw in their lifetimes up to the time I was a teen. They said their parents (my grandparents whom were born in the 1890's and 1900) saw the most incredible change in their lifetime. Imagine being a child when there were few cars and most people still rode horses, used buggies, rode streetcars, or walked and living to see jet planes and rocket ships shoot into the sky. I think that beats growing up without the internet and video games. This past century (about 110) years has seen much swifter change than the millenium before. I love to write, read, and watch time travel stories. Is it any wonder? There's so much to work with. You'll also want to see what Amarinda Jones, Anika Hamilton, Anny Cook, Barbara Huffert, Brynn Paulin, Bronwyn Green, Dakota Rebel, Kelly Kirch, Molly Daniels, Sandra Cox, Regina Carlysle, and Cindy Spencer Pape are up to, so make sure to visit them also. :)

2 comments:

Caffey said...

Nice on the award! I shall go check out that blog!

Beautiful on your daughter. My baby is 19 and so much different than when I was 18. Harder to go on their own too.

Yep so much changed since then and there will be so many more changes to go too! And I have alot to catch up with yet! I'm so not techy!

Ashely, can you email me? I emailed you with the email you gave me from the win but your AOL is bouncing back. My email is cathiecaffey(at)gmail(dot)com

Unknown said...

Oh yeah - I remember 'bumping'...dumb dance when you think about it

Website Content and Copy: Ashley Ladd, 2008.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.