Monday, June 29, 2009

What Are You Doing This Summer?

What are you doing this summer? Moi? Today, I had my first summer book released. It's "Simon Says" at http://www.total-e-bound.com. Like most of my books, it's set in the eternal summer paradise of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I live here and it's like being in summer year round. We usually wear shorts and short sleeves on Christmas and New Years Day. Next month I have two more books releasing at http://www.total-e-bound.com. Best Mates and Doggy Style. And then another in August... Releasing books, and obviously promoting them, isn't the only thing I'm doing. Almost 50% of my waking hours when I'm not at the day job, I'll be at the softball field watching my daughter practice and helping her team. If I can sneak away, I'll be walking around the fields, getting in as much exercise as I can. I hope to write a lot during her practice, too. In July, I hope to visit my father in Cincinnati. I'll visit with the neighbors I grew up with. I'll also see my aunts, uncles, and cousins. I would like to spend time with my grandchildren and children at the beach and the pool. I also want to hang out at the gym a lot, also. I plan to bicycle, too. Somehow, between all my planned summer activities, I want to write. It's funny, though - in the summer I write Christmas stories and at Christmastime I write summer stories. Last summer, and perhaps again this year, I have my own Christmas in July. I watch Christmas movies for a week or two. I listen to Christmas music. I bake Christmas cookies. It may be a weird summer tradition, but it's one I enjoy. What would you like to do this summer? Above are the things I'm going to do. What I'd really love to do in addition to visiting my dad in Cincinnati, is to take a cruise around Alaska and the Caribbean. I'd love to go surfing and water skiing. I'd like to dance under the moonlight with a sexy man and then skinny dip in the pool. I'd like to have my own pool built in my backyard so I can stare up at the moonlight sifting through the palm trees. I'd love to be on vacation with my daughter-in-law and grandkids and ride horses with them. I'd like to rollerblade in the park. Maybe I will do this. I should do this. I wish I'd been hired by the FBI (I honestly applied to be an agent but my hearing loss made me ineligible) so I could go undercover and stop the bad guys. Since I wasn't able to do this in real life, I did so vicariously through my characters Rafael, Marco, and Cary in "Simon Says". I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. It's now available at http://www.total-e-bound.com/ What detective agency boss Simon Says, ex-lovers Rafael and Marco do whether they like it or not, including tracking a murderer in a transvestite beauty contest in Ft. Lauderdale - and sharing a hotel room. Former actor come private dick Rafael may be in his element dressing up as a babe in Ft. Lauderdale's transvestite beauty contest in order to catch the sleaze ball murdering gays, but his ex-lover macho ex-New York cop Marco doesn't. In fact, Marco isn't sure which is worse - having to dress up as a babe and talking into the microphone hidden in his boobs, or being forced to shack up in a hotel room with his ex-lover and too-tempting fellow detective Rafael. Excerpt From: Simon Says “Simon says I have a dangerously fun assignment for my three favourite men, today.” The loud speaker crackled and echoed through the luxurious white-on-white offices of Simon’s Detective Agency. Private detectives Marco D’Angelo, Raphael Chico, and Cary Lombard stared at one another in turns. Cary, the computer nerd, shifted in his comfy armchair, leaned against the side, and sat Indian style. He tied his long golden blond hair into a silky ponytail and squinted in the direction of Simon’s voice. “How much fun is ‘fun’?” Marco, the ex-New York cop, scowled. “What do you mean ‘dangerously’?” Rafe, the ex-actor-makeup artist, ran his fingers through his dark curls and made a moue of his lips. “Do we get to dress up?” “Yes, indeedy, my pretty one. You’ll get to play with your makeup and costumes to your heart’s content. In fact, that’s an integral part of this assignment.” Glee glowed in Rafe’s heart and he rubbed his hands together. “I can’t wait. Do tell.” Cary cast an indulgent look at Rafe as he scratched his chin. “You made the diva very happy, but is there a part for me?” “Patience. I’m getting there. There’ll be plenty for all of you to make your little hearts happy. You get to bug lots of rooms, run videos, and fool with sound equipment. Will that keep your nerd heart happy?” Cary keyed notes into his laptop as he balanced it on his knees. He cracked a lopsided grin. “I’m good.” Marco linked his fingers behind his head and leaned back. Raphael wasn’t surprised when he kicked his booted feet up on the desk. “Cut to the chase, boss. Give us the nitty gritty.” “I’m trying to.” Simon’s fingers drummed loudly through the speaker. Glasses chinked. “You, my sweets, are going to be in a transvestite beauty pageant in Ft. Lauderdale. Have I caught your attention yet?” Salivating, Rafe scooted to the edge of his chair. He hadn’t been in a pageant for ages, not since long before joining Simon’s agency. “We all have to have a talent. I sing, act, dance, play wicked piano—” “Sprout wings.” Marco added, glaring at him. Rafe was sick of Marco’s derision. The tough guy ex-cop thought he was such hot shit, so big and bad. Rafe longed to wipe the smirk off his mug. “What’s your talent? Scratching your balls?” Cary snickered and gave an air high five. “Good one.” Marco gave them both the finger. To Cary he said, “At least, my idea of a hot Saturday night isn’t breaking and entering into private individual’s internet networks.” Simon clucked his tongue. “Now, now boys. Let’s stop the bickering. We all know one of Cary’s most invaluable talents is hacking.” Cary gave a toothy grin, stood and bowed. “Thank you. Thank you very much.” Marco’s brow furrowed. “If I were still on the force, I’d have hauled your scrawny ass into the pokey a long time ago.” “Bite me, pig. You wouldn’t have a halfway decent firewall or free satellite if not for me.” Rafe couldn’t wait to get started. He would be “Raquel Chico” for this tasty little job, with long, flowing curls, and rhinestone-studded lashes. He debated whether to be an average, sedate C-cup or a vivacious DD. Of course he’d have to get a manicure and pedicure straight away. The tough part would be dragging the butch cop and computer nerd with him. He went over his wardrobe and knew he couldn’t wear any of his old gowns. They’d be so 1999 he’d die of humiliation. “Will we have time for a shopping spree? Oh! And a bikini wax?” Marco groaned and rubbed his temples. “Do we all have to play dress up and prance around on stage like Diana Ross? Please say no.” “No, not all. Only two of you,” Simon said. Here's a review already from Fallen Angels Review. "Marco and Rafael seem to sizzle on the pages from start to finish. I would love to get a bird's eye view of the back story between Marco and Rafael, although Marco's motivation was explained effectively for this story. From Rafael's drama queen ways to Marco talking into his books, this romantic comedy is a gem! My only question, is there a story for Cary the computer geek floating out their somewhere?" Reviewed by April Thanks April! And yes, I'm writing Cary's story at this time. I think you'll like it, too. You'll also want to see what Amarinda Jones, Anika Hamilton, Anny Cook, Barbara Huffert, Brynn Paulin, Bronwyn Green, Dakota Rebel, Kelly Kirch, Molly Daniels, Sandra Cox, Regina Carlysle, and Cindy Spencer Pape are up to, so make sure to visit them also. :)

2 comments:

Wendi Zwaduk and Megan Slayer said...

I love this story. Great job that it's pubbed!

We went to the zoo and the history museum to see... drumroll, please... DINOSAURS!

Kid induced.

Have a great day!

Molly Daniels said...

Happy Release Day, Ash!!!

At least for the month of July, I'm the working one around here. I hope this isn't preparation for future employment...hubby makes more money at his job than I can. But every little bit helps...and worst case scenario, if he DOESN'T return to work, at least he cooks:)

Website Content and Copy: Ashley Ladd, 2008.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.