Saturday, April 26, 2014

Write what I know? Or make everything up?

I've always heard to write about what you know. I also see lots of jokes on Facebook that all the bad things in a writer's life (getting arrested, getting fired, getting divorced, going bankrupt, being foreclosed upon, getting into a car wreck, etcetera, etcetera) is story fodder.


Well, isn't it?


Although getting arrested must suck (I can only imagine as I've never experienced this life event), it's usually pretty interesting in stories. Look how popular 'Law & Order' is. Somebody's always getting arrested.


I don't see anything wrong with being inspired by life's events as long as I change the names, places, and precise happenings to protect the innocent. Remember I said 'inspired by' life's events, not 'record them word for word'.


My daughter feels that I should not write about actual life events that inspire me.


But I have more information about things I've experienced than things I haven't. Since I haven't been arrested, have never spent a night in a jail cell, I have to imagine it, research it the best I can. But I can't taste, touch, smell, live it the way I would if I had experienced it. (Not that I want to.)


The mother of five children, I can give a realistic opinion of what it's like to be the mother of five children.


You get the point.


Not that I won't ever imagine what it's like to be a werewolf or a space alien and write from their POV. I'm sure I will. Actually I have.


Much as I love my daughter, I'm going to continue to write about what I know.


Happy Saturday!
Ashley



No comments:

Website Content and Copy: Ashley Ladd, 2008.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.