Thursday, July 31, 2014

Author Spolight: Neil Plakcy

Please welcome Neil Plakcy and his books, The Noblest Vengeance and Love On Site to my cyber home. Be sure to check out his interview and please leave comments for him.




noblest_cover.jpg


Noblest Blurb


1:


The Noblest Vengeance weaves together the heritage of Sephardic Jews and the tensions in modern-day Turkey with a sexy, fast-paced romance that tests the relationship of bodyguards Aidan Greene and Liam McCullough.


Does the threat they face come from a hidden secret tied to the Nazi invasion of the Greek town of Ioannina, a center of Sephardic culture? Or has it arisen because of plans to develop one of the last open spaces in Istanbul, Gezi Park?


The real danger to their relationship, however, may come from their very different ideas about family connections. Can their love withstand assassins with a deadly secret to keep hidden, a trip back home to New Jersey – and Liam’s foul-mouthed mother?


2:


The Ladino proverb La mas noble vengansa es el perdon (the noblest vengeance is forgiveness) is at the center of Neil Plakcy’s newest entry in his Have Body, Will Guard adventure romance series.


Plakcy, a three-time finalist for the Lambda Literary Award, weaves together the heritage of Sephardic Jews and the tensions in modern-day Turkey with a sexy, fast-paced romance that tests the relationship of bodyguards Aidan Greene and Liam McCullough.


Aidan has always been fascinated by the Sephardic heritage of his aunt by marriage, and when her sister’s family, who have lived in Istanbul for generations, need protection from dangerous adversaries, he’s eager to help. Does the threat to the Fariases come from a hidden secret tied to the Nazi invasion of the Greek town of Ioannina, a center of Sephardic culture? Or has it arisen because of plans to develop one of the last open spaces in Istanbul, Gezi Park, which has set protests in motion?


The real danger to their relationship, however, may come from their very different ideas about family connections. Can their love withstand assassins with a deadly secret to keep hidden, a trip back home to New Jersey – and Liam’s foul-mouthed mother?


 


love_on_site_200.jpg


 


Love on Site Blurb


It’s mid-May, and Manny Garcia has just graduated from Florida University (FU) with his bachelor’s degree in construction management, and landed his dream job, working for handsome Walter Loredo on a warehouse project just west of downtown Miami. He’s living in a condo on South Beach with two of his brothers from the gay frat at FU, Lambda Lambda Lambda.


Manny has a thing for older men, particularly construction workers, and he’s got a real crush on Walter, even though he thinks the boss is straight. At first Manny’s able to keep his South Beach life and his work separate. Then he runs into one of his coworkers on Lincoln Road when he is out with his roommates, and he’s outed. Can he keep his job and win his boss’s love?


 


 


Interview questions:


1) Why do you write (erotic) romance?


I am a romantic at heart. I believe in happy endings! And I like to add in the erotic elements because they are fun to write, and I hope fun to read.

2) What romance subgenres do you write in? Why?


I write M/M books – some of them combine mystery with romance (the Mahu Investigations, about an openly gay homicide detective in Honolulu), some combine adventure (the Have Body, Will Guard series about a pair of bodyguards in Europe), and some combine coming-of-age stories (my South Beach romances.)

3) Are you aware of any themes that run through your stories? If so, what are they?


One of the themes I find regularly cropping up in my books is the importance of family, particularly for gay men. The push and pull of birth families, and the support of families of choice. There’s also a lot of father-son stuff going on.

6) Will you be attending any book or writing conferences this year? If yes, which

ones? Where and when?


I am going to the Novelists Inc. convention in St. Petersburg Beach in October, where I hope to learn a lot more about how to reach readers.

8) What is your writing schedule?


I write every morning, usually at Starbucks. During the school year, my college classes usually start in late morning or early afternoon so I can squeeze an hour in on my way to work. Weekends, holidays and summers I can usually manage two hours.

9) Do you have any other passions besides writing? If yes, what are they? Why?


My two golden retrievers. They remind me that there’s more to life than sitting at a keyboard, and they provide unconditional love, puppy kisses and water hazards around their bowls.

11) What is your favorite comfort food?


Shell macaroni with butter and grated cheese. Reminds me of childhood sick days at home when that’s what our housekeeper would make for me.

16) Where is your favorite place to write? Why?


As I said above, I like Starbucks. My raspberry mocha with chocolate whipped cream and a mocha drizzle is my reward for getting up on time and out of the house. I’ve trained my brain so that when I sit down there, it’s time to work, and I can usually shut out the distractions. No dogs nosing at my side for treats or play time!

19) If you have/had another career, what was it?


I’m the poster child for career change! I began as a university administrator, then got an MBA and moved into construction management. When that business slowed I went to work for a computer game company as a producer, and stayed there for ten years. Then on to web development and technical writing before finally landing my full-time teaching job ten years ago.

21) If you could have one wish, what would it be?


My partner suffers from early-onset Parkinson’s Disease, so my one wish would be a cure that would benefit him and so many others.

24) Are you a cat or dog person? Do you have any pets and if so, please tell us about them.


Dog person, fur sure! When I met my partner he had two dogs – a Yorkie and a Collie, and they were definitely positive additions to the package. In the fifteen years since then, we’ve loved and lost a wonderful golden, Samwise, who was my constant companion. Now we have Brody, two years old, and Griffin, seven months. Both are cream-colored golden retrievers and both are very lively and loving.


26) Please tell us about your most recent release and where we can purchase it.


My two most recent books are from Loose Id and are available at their website, Amazon, and almost any other ebook retailer. Love on Site came out in the spring – it’s about a recent college engineering grad finding love and a career on a construction site (lots of the details come from my own experience.) The Noblest Vengeance is the sixth in my series about bodyguards Aidan Greene and Liam McCullough as they fly to Turkey to protect Aidan’s distant cousins. (Aidan is a lot like me, and Liam’s my fantasy man!)

27) Please give us your urls and your publisher’s url.




www.mahubooks.com

28) Is there anything else you’d like to share with your readers? Please do so here.

Thank you.


Awesome answers, Neil! Thanks again.
Ashley



neil_plakcy_closeup_1.jpg




 




 


He also writes the Mahu mystery series, about openly gay Honolulu homicide detective Kimo Kanapa’aka. They are: Mahu, Mahu Surfer, Mahu Fire, Mahu Vice, Mahu Men, Mahu Blood and Zero Break. All are available from MLR Press in paper and e-book editions.


 


His other books are the Golden Retriever Mysteries In Dog We Trust, The Kingdom of Dog, and Dog Helps Those as well as the novels GayLife.com, Mi Amor, The Russian Boy, The Buchanan Letters and The Outhouse Gang and the novella The Guardian Angel of South Beach.


 


Plakcy is a journalist and book reviewer as well as an assistant professor of English at Broward College’s south campus in Pembroke Pines. He is former president of the Florida chapter of Mystery Writers of America.


 


He edited Paws & Reflect: A Special Bond Between Man and Dog and the gay erotic anthologies Hard Hats, Surfer Boys, Skater Boys, The Handsome Prince, Sexy Sailors and Model Men. His erotic stories have been collected in four Kindle editions: Tough Guy Erotica, Romantic Erotica, Three Lambs: Erotic Tales of a Gay Frat, and Pledge Class and Other College Boy Erotica.


 


His website is www.mahubooks.com.


 

No comments:

Website Content and Copy: Ashley Ladd, 2008.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.