Friday, September 12, 2014

Interview with Sydney St. Clair


Interview with Sydney St. Clair


1) Why do you write (erotic) romance?                    

Oh boy! You may be sorry you asked! Seriously, this is a great question because my normal genre writing as Susan Edwards was historical romance in the Western/Native American sub-genre. With the downturn of the economy years ago, I lost my publishing house when they went out of business and with the economy being so bad, it was nearly impossible to find a new house, especially one willing to take on my two series started at Dorchester. Publishing houses were keeping their good authors and many like me, ended up homeless.

In the meantime, I needed money. As I’m a full time caregiver for my mother, an outside job wasn’t going to work so I was looking for online freelance type jobs. I read a blog, written by another writer, on how he earned extra money. I checked out his links. One was for a freelance site where I discovered tons of “ghostwriting” jobs. I started sending in proposals on some erotica jobs—the money offered seemed reasonable for the work required. I was hired, based on my previous writing experience and the submission of an unpublished short erotica story I wrote as a challenge but never tried to sell.

I was shocked when I was hired. Writing a 27k word story was going to be a challenge, as I’ve never written less than 90k words and was not published in the contemporary genre. To make it even more of a challenge, I’d never even read any erotica with BDSM. My job required light BDSM so I began researching and writing. It worked out great. The woman who hired me loved it and offered another contract.

I discovered that I had both the talent and knack for writing 27-30k erotica romances in the BDSM genre. In between two jobs, I decided to write my own. It was hard to let go of my stories so what the heck. I had nothing to lose. I wrote Cinderella & Prince Dom and sent it to Wild Rose and to my shock, I received a request for the full story in the matter of hours! I think the next day I was offered a contract and my editor wanted the full proposal for the other five books.

This entire experience proved  that fate often works in mysterious ways. Without trying or planning, I ended up rebranding myself and taking on the pen name of Sydney St. Claire.

2) What romance subgenres do you write in? Why?

I also write historical romances. I began as a reader of this subgenre and when I first decided to write, I adopted the old “write what you know.” My White Series has been very popular. As I focus heavily on Native American myths, legends and spirituality, more paranormal crept into my writing which gave way to a series that is Native American/paranormal.

3) Are you aware of any themes that run through your stories? If so, what are they?
Family and children are two themes that I love to include in my writing. With my erotica stories, I’m seeing a “coming into one’s own” theme as my very strong and independent women discover the power of their sexuality and how sometimes, when they give up control and power, they’re in the ultimate power seat.

 4) What would you like readers to take away from your stories?

A sense of self-empowerment. Feeling good about themselves and an acceptance of who they are flaws and all. And of course, I want readers to take away hope as I think hope is at the core of all romances

5) What inspires your stories?

The Once Upon a Dom was inspired by my love of fairytales and happily ever after. What better themes than the ones offered in fairytales? Once I came up with the Once Upon a Dom, the rest just fell into place.

6) What is your writing schedule?


I write in the morning in what I call ‘power hours’. I’m part of a group and we call each other, using conference calling. Each of us announces where we are in editing or word count and we write for an hour and check back in at the end with our progress. This focuses my writing. No research, no editing (unless I’m doing edits or rewriting at the end of a book). Often, in the morning I try to do 3-4 of these power hours each day and my writing output and production has probably tripled. I spend another couple hours doing other writing activities like website, blogs, social media, and marketing.

7) Do you have any other passions besides writing? If yes, what are they? Why?


Oh, yes! I love to garden (when it’s not 100+ outside), crochet, and knit. And I love a good nap . Except for the nap, the other activities are also creative endeavors and I think they balance the writing mind. I also like my TV time in the evenings with my mother. On weekends, we often have marathons.

8) What is your favorite comfort food?


I don’t have one favorite. I might go for a bit of chocolate, or pop some popcorn or eat some nuts. I do love ice cream and popsicles as well. How about we say I like to go for the foods I should NOT have!

9) What relaxes you?
Music. Currently I love Blackmore Nights and David Lantz’s new age piano, especially Cristofori’s Dream. Reading. I read when I eat my meals and I take my IPad to bed and read, sometimes far too long before shutting it down and going to sleep! My cats and my dogs as well. Even though they often drive me nuts, especially the cats who insist on taking up my entire desk to be with me when I write, they are soothing and great companions.

10) What is your favorite guilty pleasure?


I get hooked with a game called Magic Puzzles on my IPad. I have to limit myself to half an hour in the morning and another bit of time before bed. It’s a puzzle game and totally addicting.


11) What decade has been your favorite? Why?

I loved the 70’s. My favorite clothes were Gunny Sax dresses and I had the body that looked good in them!

12) What is your favorite way(s) to promote?



There’s favorite ways to promote? . Like many writers, I’d be perfectly content to just write and live in a fantasy world where the publisher did all the promoting or I had enough money to hire a publicist but that not my reality or I promote! I like to use my website, do giveaways to readers, and in days gone by, I did book signings in actual brick and mortar stores. That’s going by the wayside as well. So I do the typical social media sites, solicit reviews, and try to grow my mailing list.


13) Where is your favorite place to write? Why?
I write best in my office, at my desk. My office is a reflection of me with pictures and pretties and a lot of organized office stuff. I painted it four shades of blue so it’s relaxing and soothing. As my office is the family room (totally taken over), I also have 6 cubby units that each hold 9 baskets. This is my yarn center and I love looking at my “stash” while writing. And yes, I have to resist the urge to go “touch” and “pet” my yarn!


14) What is your favorite fairy tale? Why?

What a cool question considering the first book in the Once Upon A Dom series is Cinderella & Prince Dom! I think I loved Cinderella because she over comes all the crap her stepmother and sister toss at her. She’s pure love, finding joy and song even in her chores.  She turns to the animals and mice for companionship, again, finding joy in what most would find a joyless life And yes, this is a fairytale and yes, they always have happy endings but I can’t help but wonder if we as flawed humans focused on finding the good in our life instead of seeking and hanging on to unhappiness, we might actually overcome our adversity in a way that makes us stronger. And yes, this is the dreamer in me. To see the good and accept change.


15) What was your favorite vacation?

Okay, I’m going to stay with theme here and say my trips to Disneyland. I think I was in Jr. High or even High School my first trip and I found it absolutely magical. My next trips were with my children, much, much younger and it was a joy to to watch that magical kingdom come alive in their eyes.

16) If you have/had another career, what was it?


I’ve done a lot of things but two things stand out: working with children. I did a lot of daycare jobs and always found the places lacking and even blew the whistle on one. I did my own daycare for a while but it’s so hard deal with the less than ideal parents and know their children will suffer. The other thing I did was own my own retail shop. I lost it during the bad economy and would never put my heart through it again unless I won the lottery. I loved dealing with customers and made some lifelong friends. Decorating for the holidays was fun and ordering all these cool pretty things was fun.


17) If you didn’t write, what would you do instead?


Oh, I’m a big project type of gal. I’d be fussing with my house, the yard, my crafts. I’m expecting my first grandchild, a little girl and am going to take my sewing machine in to be cleaned and fixed so I can start sewing some of my favorite patterns that I made my daughter. I have to laugh here, as the brand of pattern I love way back when (30 years ago) was Cinderella. I kid you not! I will be making lots of those cute, ruffly dresses


18) If you could have one wish, what would it be?


A healthy granddaughter. My first one is due in February.


19) If you could describe yourself in only one word, what would it be? Why?


Dreamer


20) Are you a cat or dog person? Do you have any pets and if so, please tell us about them.

Oh, bad question. I’m one cat shy of being a crazy cat lady. I have five. Maybe I’m already there. Two ages 13, half Burmese, half Maine Coon, bred from papered parents to get the great qualities of each breed. I feel lucky in having those two. They are special. Next is a 12-year-old white cat I raised from 3 weeks. He’s 25 lbs. and well over 30” in length. He insists on spreading his bulk across my desk when I write. We often have turf wars. My pride and joys are two Siamese mixes I adopted 3 years ago. They are super special in ways none of my other cats have been and they are very close to me. In 2012, I lost two other cats who were very special (yes, crazy cat lady).

I also have 3 dogs, two chiweenies adopted as pups who are my constant companions. And a Great Pyrenees mix with special needs that my daughter, who is a DVM rescued. Poor Shasta had so many special needs, it wasn’t a good mix so mom ended up with her. I love animals and critters and had adopted a cage full of rats and really enjoyed them while they lived.


21) What is the one thing you most want to do that you haven’t yet?
I really want to go to Alaska and see the northern lights and take a cruise and watch eagles.

22) Please tell us about your most recent release and where we can purchase it.


Cinderella and Prince Dom is due out September 12th and I’m so excited. I love this story and the characters. It’s my first foray into Erotica and I’ve had an absolute blast writing this story and the others to follow. 

The book is available at:

Wild Rose Press:         http://wilderroses.com/ (Cinderella available 9/12/2014)

(links for Amazon Kindle and the Nook will be available on publisher site)

 

Coming Soon Link at Wild Rose Press:  http://bit.ly/1vOUIWS

23) Please give us your urls and your publisher’s url.
Website:          http://sydneystclaire.com

Twitter:           https://twitter.com/Sydneystclaire

Facebook:        https://facebook.com/sydneystclaire

Blog:               http://sydneystclaire.wordpress.com

Trailer              http://youtu.be/id53716vdzA

Goodreads:        https://www.goodreads.com/sydneystclair

Pinterest:            http://www.pinterest.com/sydneystclaire/

 

24) Is there anything else you’d like to share with your readers? Please do so here.

Once Upon a Dom is a series with six books so far and I’m having a blast writing them. I’ve always loved Fairy Tales and I’m a Happily Ever After kind of gal.  

Red & Her Big Bad Dom is due out in November followed by Snow & Her Huntsman early 2015. We’ll also have Beauty, Wendy and Rapunzel’s stories next year.

Blurb (with cover)

Jaimie Newberry is jobless, her rent is due, and her cat just died. On top of that, she was accused of embezzling before she was fired. When her friend invites her for a weekend of kinky fairytale role-playing, she agrees to go as Cinderella. What has she got to lose when sex with a handsome prince is involved?

 

CEO Bryce Langston needs to know if Jamie is innocent of embezzlement or just very clever. He arranges for her to be his weekend sub but soon realizes the pretty scullery maid is naïve to the BDSM lifestyle. As her prince and her Dom, he intends to not only learn the truth but to make sure she has a fantasy come true.

Cinderella Trailer  http://youtu.be/id53716vdzA)

 

susan_pic.gif

AUTHOR BIO:

Sydney St. Claire is the pseudonym of Susan Edwards, author of 14 Historical Native American/Western/Paranormal romances and the author of the popular “White” Series.

Sydney loves writing and sharing stories of love, happiness and dreams come true with her readers. She credits her mother for her writing success. Encouraged to read as a child, she always preferred happy endings which meant romances were her favorite genre. Sydney takes her readers into the world of erotica romance where her characters come together in explosive passion as they solve life’s problems and find true love along with the best sex our hero and heroine have ever experienced.

Sydney’s office is quite crowded with three dogs at her feet and five cats to keep her company while she writes. Three cats always insist on beds on her desk, barely leaving enough room for her monitor and keyboard. Life gets fun when all five insist on supervising…

When not writing, she enjoys crafts of all sorts including quilting, sewing, cross-stitch, and knitting. She and her husband of 30 + years are avid gardeners. He takes care of the veggies, and Susan is in charge of the ‘pretties’. Her medicine wheel garden is in a contact state of war: flowers vs. weeds. Sadly, right now the weeds are wining…

While writing, she listens to a wide variety of music. Her current favorites are Blackmore’s Night and David Lanz.

 

 

CinderellaAndPrinceDom_w9118_750.jpg

EXERPT R-rated:

 

“Let’s talk about your sex life. I read the questionnaire you filled out and understand you’re game for a bit of light BDSM.”

“What?” The spit in Jaimie’s mouth dried. “What do you mean by light BDSM?” She was going to kill Lucy. She’d assumed many of the men and women she’d seen earlier were into some kinky stuff, but there’d been others wearing normal costumes. Like her.

“Dominant and submissive role playing.”

“Roles? As in I’m Cinderella and you’re the Prince?”

His lips curved in amusement. “Not quite. I am a Dominant who requires a submissive. I am your Dom and you are my sub. Those are our roles for the weekend.”

Jaimie stood. Yep. Her friend deserved a slow, torturous death. “I think there’s been a misunderstanding. I’m not into kinky sex or pain. I agreed to a weekend of free food, being waited on, and having sex with my prince charming.”

“Come with me.” Without waiting to see if she followed, he left the room.

Once again, his deep baritone strummed through Jaimie, igniting a need to do whatever he asked. She found herself following him meekly into a large bedroom dominated by a bed on a pedestal. She pressed her hand into her stomach. Was he going to fuck her now? Oh god, she’d definitely made a mistake in agreeing to this.

“Stand in front of this mirror.” His arm swept out and pointed to an antique, freestanding mirror.

Jaimie obeyed. Her prince walked behind her, and they stared at each other through the glass.

“Tell me about your last lover.” His eyes, a greenish-blue, bore into hers.

“Mike was a dick.” Her nerves tingled. He was so close; she felt his warmth along her back.

“In what way?”

She drew her brows together. “This is personal.”

“I have my reasons for asking.” He stared at her, silently commanding her to explain.

She sighed, wishing she could see her prince’s face. “He was concerned with his own needs. Basically, he wasn’t much better than a rutting pig. He never got me off.”

To her surprise, he nodded. “How many lovers have you had that fucked you until you were screaming for release?”

Her heart thumped against her ribs, and she quivered deep inside her sex at the thought of that happening. “None,” she whispered.

“How many lovers brought you to your peak over and over until your orgasms ripped you apart?” He placed his hands on her shoulders, his gaze holding hers in the mirror.

Jaimie’s jaw dropped. Damn, his questions had her clit throbbing and begging to be brought to peak over and over. Her panties suddenly went from damp to wet. “None,” she again whispered.

He brushed her hair to one side. “You give control of your body to me for this weekend, and I promise you will not go unsatisfied.” He leaned down and feathered his lips along the side of her neck.

She quivered inside. “I’m not anyone’s slave.”

“I’m not looking for a slave. I want a woman who is intelligent and knows her own mind.”

Jaimie tipped her head to one side to give him full access. It was getting hard to think with his warm breath in her ear. “Then why do you want someone who is submissive?”

“Because a smart submissive knows that when she gives up control, she gets what she wants.”

“What does she want?” Jaimie groaned. She knew what she wanted.

“She wants her Dom to take her on a sexual journey so she can discover what her needs are and have those needs satisfied.” His voice slid through her like warmed honey.

“You don’t know me.” Her breaths became short gasps when his tongue swirled in her outer ear.

“By the time this weekend is over, I will know every inch of you.” He drew in her ear lobe and sucked the soft flesh, then raked his teeth over her lobe. “I will know every secret your body holds. I’ll find all those sensitive spots that crave to be touched, and when I find and touch them, your pussy will weep for my cock, my sweet Cinderella.” He hands slid around her waist.

Oh my god. Jaimie’s knees nearly gave out at the way he’d drawn out her role-play name, making it sound like he was saying Siiinnn-derella. No one had ever talked dirty to her like this. Mike’s version of dirty talk was to tell her he wanted to fuck, but that was it. Even his attempt to talk dirty had left her cold.

“First, you agree to be my sub. Think of it as though I’m your boss in the office.”

“This would be considered sexual harassment,” Jaimie said as she leaned back against her prince, shivering as his tongue traced the swirls of her ear.

He chuckled and lifted his head. “We’re creating our own fantasy world here. You ever been called up to the top floor to have sex with a rich CEO?”

“No. Where I worked, I was a peon. The CEO never mixed with us worker drones. Didn’t even have an office in our building.”

“That’s too bad. Did you have fantasies about being fucked by him?” His lips nipped along the side of her neck.

“No.”

“Why not?” He shoved the neckline of her top off her shoulder.

Jaimie wanted him to stop talking and keep kissing her. “’Cause he’s probably old and fat. With a beer belly.” God, don’t stop.

His laughter in the hollow of her neck sent delicious cravings for his mouth against her skin from her tummy down to her curled toes.

“How about we pretend that I’m the CEO and I’ve called my lowly, naughty peon up to my richly appointed office for a weekend of overtime.”

“What do I have to do?” His hands skimmed down her sides, following her waist to her hips.

“You must obey me and do everything I tell you.”

“And if I don’t?”

His hands cupped her ass and squeezed. He lifted his head and watched her in the mirror. “Then I’ll have to spank you.”

Jaimie, floating on a haze of desire, nearly choked. “What?”

He pulled her skirt up, slid his hands beneath, and rubbed each palm across her cheeks. “If you are naughty, I’ll make you get on your hands and knees and I’ll spank you.” His hand snaked around her when she jerked away.

Shit! Lucy is so dead!

Trailer:             http://youtu.be/v3w5k5XvkLw

Email:              Sydney@sydneystclaire.com

Website:           http://sydneystclaire.com

Twitter:            https://twitter.com/Sydneystclaire


Blog:                http://sydneystclaire.wordpress.com

Goodreads:      https://www.goodreads.com/sydneystclair

Pinterest:          http://www.pinterest.com/sydneystclaire/

Coming Soon Link:  http://bit.ly/1vOUIWS

Buy links        

Wild Rose Press:  http://wilderroses.com/ (available 9/12/2014)

(Nook & Amazon links available at the publisher website)

 

Buy link in case above link doesn’t work

http://www.wildrosepublishing.com/wildcatalog_v151/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=182&products_id=1008

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for having me on your site Ashley. Great blog site.

Website Content and Copy: Ashley Ladd, 2008.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.