Saturday, July 05, 2008

Super Heroes, Angels, or Gods?

Somedays, don't you feel like this is so true? (the pic above)
After I saw "Hancock" last night, something in the movie got me to thinking. I don't think I'm spoiling anything by mentioning this. Everybody knows from the movie trailers that Hancock is a superhero. What the movie brings up, and I never thought of before, is that the people we in this day and age consider "super heroes" would have been looked upon as gods or angels by people several hundred or thousands of years ago. Why the difference in perception? Is it that we're more religious now that we don't think there are multiple gods? Or are we less religious and don't see them as Biblical creatures? I'm not sure which to think. I can see, though, why an ancient people would see beings with such awesome powers as being gods or angels -- if there really were such people. While there are myths and even Bible tales of angels and gods visiting Earth thousands of years ago, there are only fiction stories in contemporary times about "super heroes". For those of you in or from the US who celebrated our Independence Day today, I hope you enjoyed it. We watched an amazing display from the comfort of my son's porch. It was so much more relaxing than getting in the middle of crowds at one of the parks or the beach. Here's one more laugh for the day. hehehe

8 comments:

Unknown said...

You know I believe in the 'great man' in history theory that someone will always come along and stand out for whatever reason - good or bad - and people will be in awe. Superheroes were and are in all centuries

Unknown said...

I'm in awe of Christopher Reeves and Michael J. Fox, and my day job big bosses. They are great great men, helping others. Still, I've never seen them leap into the air and fly or jump a building in a single bound (well, that's not true for Christopher Reeves - but I rather think that was movie magic and not his own doing.)

Unknown said...

Yeah but true superheroes don't need to jump or fly.

Unknown said...

True.

I guess I had it specifically in my mind the ones who performed superhuman physical feats.

Believe me, I much more admire what's in the heart and mind. That's why I'm such a big fan of Christopher Reeve AFTER his accident.

DJ Kirkby said...

No answer to your questions but the comic did make me laugh! There were no celebratiosn over here for either Canada day or Independace day, mores the shame!

Phoenix said...

Have you ever seen the movie Unbreakable? It tells of a man who cannot be killed except by drowning. Anyway, he gets to adulthood before he realizes he's never been sick or cut in his life (we'll ignore the DUH factor for the idiot male who is totally not observant). The premise is that every so often the genetic code is changed. So just like there are those whose bones break like glass (and this is a true condition) there are those who cannot be broken. It's an interesting idea. Hmm, sniffing plot here....

Molly Daniels said...

LOL:) Thanks for the morning chuckle!

Unknown said...

Kelly, I'm always sniffing at plots. :)

Molly and DJ, you're welcome. These two clips made me chuckle, too. I just had to share.

Website Content and Copy: Ashley Ladd, 2008.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.