Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Gun Chase

When turned on 20-20 tonight, a story about a local woman, Olidia Kerr Day, was advertised. I noticed before the story started that it happened in Sunrise, Florida which is in my area. Right before the story aired, my husband's good friend Rodney called to tell him to turn on the TV to 20-20 that his niece would be on this segment. His niece is the policewoman who responded to Olidia's calls for help. According to the report, the victim met the attacker, Carlos, at the grocery store and had several friendly encounters with him and eventually she hired him to do some house repairs/yard work. Somehow (maybe I missed it since I'm also writing this blog as I'm watching) Olidia got in her own car and Carlos was chasing her in his. She called 911 for help but she managed to reach the local police station on her own before help came. Again I don't understand why, but there was a gate closed to the police department keeping her from getting to help. Carlos, who must have been out of his mind or really really evil (or both) started shooting at her there. Meanwhile, the police dispatcher is telling Olidia to hold on while help comes. How long should it take for police to walk out their door to their own parking lot? I would have thought I'd be safe once I got that far if I had to face something similar. This is scary that it took so long. OMG! Carlos shot her three times in the police parking lot before killing himself, before our friend's niece heard the shots and ran out to help. Unfortunately, Olidia died in the police station parking lot. WHY did no one before Rod's niece go to help her? The police station says they were not told of the incident until it was too late. However, the police spokespeople also defended the 911 operator for not getting the message to them in time. The family feels that the police dispatcher is also to blame for Olidia's death. From the sound of the story, I agree. I also have to wonder why Rod's niece is supposedly the only policeman to run out to help? I applaud Rod's niece. My heart goes out to Olidia's family, especially her three children and her boyfriend. One of my single co worker friends has admitted to meeting men in the grocery store. In fact, she's often said it's a great place to meet men. She's dated some of them she met. So far, she's been luckeir. I'll definitely have to warn my friend about this. Of course, you can meet a crazy person anywhere. We all need to be cautious, right? This is my second post this week about guns and threats. What is our world coming to? You'll also want to see what Amarinda Jones, Anika Hamilton, Anny Cook, Barbara Huffert, Brynn Paulin, Bronwyn Green, Dakota Rebel, Kelly Kirch, Molly Daniels, Sandra Cox, Regina Carlysle, and Cindy Spencer Pape are up to, so make sure to visit them also. :)

No comments:

Website Content and Copy: Ashley Ladd, 2008.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.