Saturday, October 04, 2008

Romantic settings

What is a romantic setting? Is it always a tropical paradise? Is it a moon drenched summer night? Is it a snow Christmas Eve in front of a blazing fire? I think it can be all and more. Some of the best romances I've read have been in snowbound cabins way north in Canada and it's not even Christmas time. Some romances I've read have beautiful settings but the romance is lacking. Setting can and should be a character in itself, but it can't carry the story. I feel fortunate to live in the sub tropics where we have beautiful moon lit beaches, lush palm trees, white sands, and warm waters. People come here from all over the world to vacation because it's so beautiful. I'm sure a lot of people hope to find romance. Several romance movies have been set in my home town of Ft. Lauderdale. Its beaches are famous world wide. Yet, I don't set all my romances here. Some yes, but some I set in other places. Why? Because romance can and does happen anywhere. Also because I have to admit I'm jaded by perpetual sunshine, but hot, sticky weather, by palm trees day in day out. Now I find a snowy Christmas Eve or Thanksgiving Day more romantic. Give me a roaring fire place with a couple glasses of sparkling champagne and a gorgeous man whose hot for me. Now I find rolling hills covered in colorful autumn leaves breath taking. I'd love to meander through a big pumpkin patch with a brisk fall breeze in October. I love to see the twinkle of Christmas lights reflected on snow and ice. I'd love to vacation at a snowy ski resort with huge romantic fire places and wintery clothes. Maybe I'm nuts. But I like variety. Don't get me wrong - I still love summer and the tropics and the beach. I love swimming in the warm waters. But I have to admit I'd love it even more if I had the change in seasons and scenery. Of course, I think I'm ADHD like my kids. I can't stand to sit still or do the same thing over and over. But since I've read romances set all over the world, in every season, and even in on other planets, I would say I'm not the only one. :) You'll also want to see what Amarinda Jones, Anika Hamilton, Anny Cook, Barbara Huffert, Brynn Paulin, Bronwyn Green, Dakota Rebel, Kelly Kirch, Molly Daniels, Sandra Cox, Regina Carlysle, and Cindy Spencer Pape are up to, so make sure to visit them also. :)

1 comment:

Sandra Cox said...

This was a lovely blog, Ash. Very well written. The description was beautiful.

Website Content and Copy: Ashley Ladd, 2008.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.